Cosmetic enhancements?

A few months ago, I walked into a drug store in Abuja to buy a few things, and I came across this cream labelled ‘Hip Up’. The package had a ‘Caucasian’ or probably bleached dark-skinned lady who had a perfect figure 8 shape.

Upon seeing it, I tried to draw the attention of my sister to this joke of a cream. The manufacturers of the cream claimed that using it on your body would result to a perfect figure.

Unknown to me, the shop attendant had been watching me and next thing, he goes on to persuade me to buy the cream. I told him I don’t need it; however, this man continued to harass me. He went out of line in his attempt.

I genuinely feel Nigerian businesses should invest more in training their customer-facing staff. I worked as a customer assistant with a few companies during my time as a student in the UK, and I can say that customer service is the most important department of a business bent on making money. As a customer assistant at the time, there were limits to how I addressed my potential customers, so you can imagine how sickened I was by this experience. Well, that’s by the way.

I tried to keep calm, and I explained to him that I am happy with my God-given body. You wouldn’t believe what he said to me next. In his words, he replied ‘your body is not enough na Aunty’.

Imagine?!

He kept saying, ‘it’s organic Madam, just buy it’.

Please how does labelling this specific product organic change anything? The intention behind the production of the cream is totally wrong and an organic label can’t fool me into buying it.

I finished paying for what I came in to buy, and this guy yelled at me while I walked out, saying he will be expecting me to go back and purchase the product soon. I made a promise to myself to never patronise that business.

It’s a sad situation, but this is how the beauty industry is exploiting young women, and it breaks my heart!

I had the opportunity of speaking to the owner of a Beauty Clinic recently. I told her how I feel about the beauty industry exploiting women’s insecurities, and she told me pop and plain that it is business, and nobody considers the moral side of things. As a certified beautician and relatively wealthy lady that she is, she doesn’t have any cosmetic enhancement, but she performs it on other people. ‍

These people don’t care about your wellbeing Sis!

Cosmetic enhancement is anything that alters your natural appearance, it can be for a legitimate reason or for a fickle one. It could be make-up, a body lotion, dental makeover or even extreme procedures like Brazilian butt lift (commonly known as BBL). The list is not exhaustive, and it would surprise you what people do to their bodies.

I think it’s time we redefine the standard of beauty. But most importantly have a clear identity. Define who you are based on the Word of God. Every other thing will fade away at some point, the only stable thing is the love of God for you, and that is what the foundation of your identity should be. Every other thing must be built on that foundation.

I remember considering a dental makeover because I didn’t think my dentition was good enough. I had an accident several years ago and broke my front tooth. I would shy away from smiling wide in pictures because of that insecurity. Along the line, I stopped placing my identity in fickle things, and I discovered how beautiful my smile is. My broken tooth makes me stand out in a crowd and I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Who are you? Is your identity based on fickle things such as your looks? What defines you? Your bank account? Your looks? Your degree?

Please don’t get me wrong, I’m not against taking care of yourself and looking good, but I’m firmly against doing things for the wrong reasons. When you’re about to pay for specific procedures or products, please ask yourself why and make sure it’s a valid reason and not a fickle one.

Diverse challenges are avoided in your lifetime when you grasp the full scope of your identity in Christ.

The issue of ‘Identity’ is an area that God has been working on in my life, and I’m very passionate about it.

May God help us all find ourselves in Him.

Have a blessed day.

11 Comments Add yours

1. Joy says:

This is such a beautiful and impactful write up. I look forward to reading more 😊

1. Sharimam says:

Thank you Joy for reading! I’m glad you enjoyed it and I hope to write more helpful stuff in the days ahead.❤❤

2. Thanks for this reminder sis.

It’s high time people live from their identity in Christ above any other identity. When we know our identity in Christ, it will change the way we act and see ourselves.

Lack of understanding of who one is makes an individual fall for everything that comes their way.

Our identity is our biggest gift and treasure on earth. Our identity is in God alone,not in anything…not even our looks, background,titles, possessions, qualifications, Facebook or Instagram followers 😄

God bless you sis.

1. Sharimam says:

Exactly! Lack of understanding is what makes a person fall for everything that comes their way. In all our getting, we must seek understanding of this thing called ‘Identity’. God help us find our identity in Him alone and God bless you too Sis.❤❤❤

3. Shawulu Afiniki says:

👍 That is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth!😊

There’s so much peace, confidence and contentment one enjoys by living his or her own identity. When you know and are proud of who you are, then the thought of living somebody else’s life does not cross your mind at all!

May God open our eyes to see how beautiful and ‘potentials loaded’ He’s made us.

The Lord bless you for sharing your thoughts on this 🤝

1. Sharimam says:

You have said it all Mummy. The peace, confidence and contentment found is priceless. Amen and thanks for stopping by, love youuuu!

4. The shop attendant was waaay out of line!

We should be comfortable in our own skin and bodies and remember how we are made in His (God’s)image!

1. Sharimam says:

Exactly!!

It’s so important to view ourselves how God sees us. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment Maureen.🤗🌹💕

5. Hmm, very empowering. I think one of the root causes of cosmetic surgery or enhancements is a low self image. If people can see themselves beyond their appearance and what they carry inside, there’ll be less known cases of this procedure.

1. Sharimam says:

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment Eromonsele.

Exactly! Such issues stem from a low self image. I just hope people are able to see themselves beyond their appearance.

1. You’re very welcome!